Many times you may need to erase the current configuration settings of your Netgear wireless range extender. After you erase the settings, the default factory settings get restored on the device. The process of deleting the current settings and restoring factory settings is known as the reset process, which you can perform either by using the Reset button or accessing the Netgear extender setup wizard. But what if the settings are your favorite ones and you want them back after resetting the extender? If you are looking for a remedy to what you can do in such a situation, then this article will help you today. We are going to discuss taking the backup and restoring the settings of the Netgear WiFi range extender. Thus read on.
Netgear Extender Backup and Restore
There are many instances that force you to reset your Netgear range extender. Having corrupted firmware is one example. In another case, while troubleshooting the extender you may reset your extender. Or if you are getting very poor WiFi from it, a reset will be needed. But if you do not want the settings to go forever, then you can take a backup of the current settings and once you are done with the task of resetting, restore the settings on the extender.
How to Backup Netgear Extender Settings?
The process of taking a backup means you will save the current configuration settings of your extender on your PC and then when you are done with resetting the extender and again setting it up, you can install them back on the extender. Netgear extender backup can be done by the following method:
- Get near your Netgear wireless range extender and plug the power socket into an active wall socket and turn the power button on.
- Now, get hold of your PC and turn it on. It will be helpful if your PC is running on the latest operating systems.
- Load the latest version of the web browser on your PC now.
- In the URL bar of the browser, enter the login web address of your Netgear extender and hit Enter.
- On the extender login window, input the login credentials carefully without making any typing mistakes.
- Click on the Log In button and you will get to the Netgear Genie smart wizard.
- On the left side of this page, click on Settings and then click on Other.
- The Other Settings page will open up.
- Click on the Backup button. You will be asked to choose a location where you want to save the current settings file of your Netgear extender. Choose a safe location and remember where you have saved the settings.
This is how you take a backup of your Netgear WiFi range extender. Let us now see how to restore these settings on the extender.
How to Restore Netgear Extender Settings?
- For this also, the Netgear extender should be powered up. So plug it into the wall socket and turn it on.
- Get access to the Netgear Genie smart wizard by accessing the login page of the Netgear extender on your PC.
- On the Netgear Genie setup page, click on Settings which will be located on the left side of the page.
- Click on the Other option to open the Other Settings page.
- Now to restore the Netgear extender settings that you saved earlier, click on the Browse option under Restore.
- Locate the file that was saved by navigating to it and select it. Make sure you are choosing the correct file on your PC.
- Click on the Restore button and the settings will begin restoring on the extender. Do not interrupt the process by powering off the extender or the PC.
- Finally, when the extender has restored the settings, it will reboot.
That’s it! The current settings that were running on the extender before you had reset your extender are now installed back on it.
This is how you can take a backup of your Netgear WiFi extender and restore the settings when you need to. To avoid any issues with your Netgear extender, you should keep it updated with the most recent firmware version. Apart from avoiding any issues, firmware updates enhance the performance of the extender. To update the firmware, you first need to download the latest firmware file and then access the Netgear Genie page using http://192.168.1.250 and install the firmware on the extender.