A blinking red light on the Netgear WiFi extender means a poor connection. It can be either a poor connection between the Netgear extender and the host router or a poor power supply. By fixing the power supply issue or the router–extender connection you can easily get this issue fixed. However, recently we came across a situation wherein the Netgear EX3700 extender blinking red issue needed a firmware update. Well, this might be the reason why your Netgear extender is blinking red. You just need to access the Netgear EX3700 setup page and get the firmware updated. But what is the relation between the firmware update and blinking red LED, and how to update firmware, let us see in this post. Keep reading.
Why Update Firmware If Extender Blinks Red?
Firmware is software that is embedded in the hardware piece of the Netgear extender or any other networking device. The firmware helps the hardware of the extender to do its functions. That means if there is an issue with the extender, it might be because of the obsolete firmware. If the Netgear extender LED begins showing a red light, this indicates some troubleshooting is needed. With obsolete firmware, the Netgear extender becomes prone to many issues. These can be easily fixed by just updating the firmware. Thus all you need to do is update the firmware of the extender to the most recent version.
Things to Consider Before Firmware Update
If you want to update the firmware on your Netgear WiFi range extender EX3700(or any other Netgear extender model), then you need to keep certain things into consideration. Read them below:
Stable Power Supply
Make very certain the power supply to the Netgear EX3700 extender, host router as well as the device that you are using to update firmware is adequate. Plug them into active and non-damaged power sockets.
Good Internet Connection
The internet connection to the Netgear extender as well as the device should not be shaky. You can connect the Netgear EX3700 extender to the host router using an Ethernet cable to make this sure that the connection is optimum. Check the internet speed by accessing netgear_ext network.
Download Correct Firmware
Before installing the firmware on the Netgear you need to download it from the Netgear download center. You need to be vigilant while downloading the firmware. This is because different models of extenders have different firmware. Make sure you are downloading the firmware meant for the extender model that you own i.e. EX3700.
You can now begin updating the firmware on your Netgear WiFi range extender.
How to Update Firmware on Netgear Extender?
To update the firmware on your extender EX3700, do this:
- Connect the Netgear range extender to the power socket. Turn the power supply on.
- Power up your PC now and load an internet browser on it.
- Download the latest version of firmware for your Netgear EX3700 WiFi extender and save it on your PC. If needed unzip the file.
- On the same internet browser, open a new tab now.
- In the URL bar of the browser type the login web address mywifiexte.net carefully without making any typing mistakes.
- Hit Enter.
- On the login window that opens up, you will be asked to enter the login credentials.
- Input the username and password into their respective fields and click on the Log In button.
- You will reach the Netgear Genie smart wizard.
- Now click on the Maintenance option and then click on the Firmware Update option.
- On the firmware update window, click on the Browse button and locate the firmware file that you saved on the PC.
- Clicking on the file will select it.
- Afterwards, click on the Upload option. The firmware will begin installing on your Netgear EX3700 extender.
Make sure that you do not interrupt the firmware update process by any means.
For your information, if you are experiencing www.mywifiext.net not working issue then you can use the default IP address of the Netgear router to access the Netgear login page.
To Briefly Conclude
A firmware update is meant to fix many issues with the Netgear extender. Apart from improving security, and fixing bugs, it adds new features to the device and also enhances its performance. Thus bear in mind that you need to be vigilant about the firmware update releases by Netgear. Whenever you find an update ready, get it installed on your extender. With this, you get rid of the blinking red light issue as well.
Check Also: How to Change Netgear Nighthawk Router SSID?